Friday, February 11, 2011

Meatloaf
{a day inspired by the 40's}
So, last Thursday I woke up before my husband and two boys and decided to bake some Jiffy Muffins for breakfast. I prepared our coffee and was ready for the my day with two little boys. We kissed and hugged the man of the house good-bye as he headed out the door to go to work. While sitting and enjoying my cup of coffee, the boys decided to watch a few episodes of Classic 1940's Superman cartoons!
I felt like I had been pushed back in time! I was, however, missing the dress, heels and apron. Yet, I knew to complete the feeling of a day in the life of a 1940's housewife, I needed to make a Meatloaf for dinner. So, that's what I did :)
Ahh, Meatloaf. You either LOVE it or HATE it. I love it! Pared with some mashed potatoes and asparagus. It just doesn't get any better to me!
First, I chopped up 1/2 of a small yellow onion and two cloves of garlic. Like my pink knife? My husband gave it to me a few Christmases ago. It's my favorite.

On a medium low temp, saute' the onion and garlic in one tablespoon of butter. Add about a teaspoon of salt and crushed black pepper.
*I always use Kosher Salt. It has a much better taste.


Saute' them for about 8 minutes, then turn off the heat and add in 1/4 cup of Ketchup and a tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.

In a bowl, beat one egg then add in 2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt and 2 teaspoons of Cracked Black Pepper. Add in 2 lbs. of Extra Lean Ground Beef. I used 93%/7%.
I didn't take a picture of it, but I also added in 2 large tablespoons of Sour Cream.

Next, I added 3/4 of a cup of Italian Style Bread Crumbs.

And then came the Onion, Garlic, Ketchup mixture waiting in your Saute' Pan. Incorporate all together. Use your best utensils for this part...your hands!

For this step, you can either use a loaf pan and add all the 2 lbs. of beef or
you can prepare it like I do and make your own loaf shapes and cook them right on a baking sheet. I love making them like this for a couple of reasons.
1. They cook faster
2. We don't always eat a whole loaf in one sitting, so the other you can freeze. I hate things going to waste.
3. I don't like the tough crust that forms when you cook in loaf pan.
You'll want to bake these at 350 degrees. These took about 30 min. The internal temp of the meatloaf should reach 160 degrees. They come out with just the perfect amount of pink in the middle.
Not underdone and not overdone.!
When my Meatloaf got to around 145 degrees I put a glaze on the top to finish them off. Then let it continue to cook to 160 degrees.
Here is the recipe for the glaze:
1/2 C Ketchup
2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon of Sriracha(hot sauce)
1 Tablespoon of a deli mustard(not the bright yellow stuff)
A pinch of Kosher Salt & a dash of Ground Pepper
YUUUMMMMM, It turned out perfect!

What kind of throwback meals do you love to make?
This one tops my list.

1 comment:

  1. lucky for me my husband has his own favorite meatloaf recipe that he likes to make for himself.

    I loved your story about living in the forties. Here's to pearls and heals at home!

    Megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete